In these verses from the Bible, you will find scriptures to bless, affirm, and encourage the fathers in your life.
Fathers will find biblical counsel and examples of the heavenly qualities that ennoble fatherhood.
1. God was the 1st father, good and perfect-his children-not so perfect.
“Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.” (Psalms 103:13)
2. The quality with which a man executes his fatherly duties is a measurement of his character before God.
“For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.” (Genesis 18:19)
3. “The best thing a man can do for his daughter, is love her mother”
“So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:” (Ephesians 5:28 – 5:29)
4. Nurture your children like a prized garden.
“And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.” (Ephesians 6:4)
5. A man that raises a wise child will be honored.
“The father of the righteous shall greatly rejoice: and he that begetteth a wise child shall have joy of him.” (Proverbs 23:24)
6. “Children live what they learn,” so be intentional about your teaching. Start by establishing a family alter-a time and place the family will daily meet together with God.
“And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.” (Deuteronomy 6:6 – 6:9)
7. The best example of a father is God the eternal father.
“And in the wilderness, where thou hast seen how that the LORD thy God bare thee, as a man doth bear his son, in all the way that ye went, until ye came into this place.” (Deuteronomy 1:31)
8. Children are a blessing from the Lord. Think of them more like the carefully tended olive plant than the carelessly sown wild oat.
“Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table. Behold, that thus shall the man be blessed that feareth the LORD.” (Psalms 128:3 – 128:4)
9. The correction of a father is a symbol of his love.
“If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?” (Hebrews 12:7)
10. Can’t lead your home? Can’t lead the church.
“A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)” (1 Timothy 3:2 – 3:5)
11. Fathers lead in compassion.
“And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.” (Luke 15:20)
12. Follow father’s lead, Godly advice do heed, And from foolishness you will be freed.
“Hearken unto thy father that begat thee, and despise not thy mother when she is old.” (Proverbs 23:22)
13. A Father’s role is a balanced concoction of goldy instruction, mercy, discipline and love.
“I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men: But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee.” (2 Samuel 7:14 – 7:15)
14. Fathers, gift your children a good example of how a woman should be treated.
“Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun.” (Ecclesiastes 9:9)
15. May you have the fortitude of Adam, the wisdom of Boaz, and faith of Abraham, the courage of David, determination of Joshua, the favor of Job and administrative acuity of Moses as you sail the seas of fatherhood. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
“Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.” (Joshua 1:9)