Flowers are mentioned throughout the Word of God. Sometimes they are mentioned in stories in the literal sense, and other times they are used as an illustration because it is an example of something that the people were familiar with, and something that can give a mental picture of and better understanding to.
Flowers are such a glorious creation from our Creator, bringing delicate beauty and lessons for God’s children, along with the pleasure of simply beholding their beauty in the marvelous variety God has blessed mankind with.
Let the Bible impart wisdom into your heart from its examples and stories.
1. Flowers are here for a season. Enjoy them while they are in bloom but enjoy the Word of God through every season of your life, for all of your years!
“The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.” (Isaiah 40:8)
2. Have you looked closely at the lilies? The splendor of these magnificent beauties is awe-inspiring. To think of the detail that your Lord put into these flowers, and to have Him remind you to put your trust in Him meeting your needs, showing you His capability through a glorious flower.
“And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.” (Matthew 6:28 – 6:29)
3. When the Word of God is not our source of life, you will be like the grass and flower that withers and falls away. But when the Word of God is your source of life because the gospel has been brought to you and you have embraced it, life eternal is the reward!
“For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.” (1 Peter 1:24 – 1:25)
4. The love of Jesus toward His church is His joy. The church is compared to a lily that is among thorns, possibly meaning wicked men. No matter where the flower is, the love of God is strong and gives hope.
“As the lily among thorns, so is my love among the daughters.” (Song of Solomon 2:2)
5. Don’t chase after riches and ease like the rich man. Be faithful to God’s ways and grow through any trials that come your way.
“For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways.” (James 1:11)
6. What message does man need to hear? That you are like grass, and with time, your strength, beauty, riches, and all the things in life will someday fade. Keep the main thing that you live for the main thing! The Lord is what will last!
“The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field: The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the LORD bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass.” (Isaiah 40:6 – 40:7)
7. You are only on the earth for a short time. Those days will see plenty of challenges, and your life eventually will come to an end.
“Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble. He cometh forth like a flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not.” (Job 14:1 – 14:2)
8. When considering the love of God for His church, He takes care of His responsibilities, and finds ways to show you He loves you.
“My beloved is gone down into his garden, to the beds of spices, to feed in the gardens, and to gather lilies.” (Song of Solomon 6:2)
9. The proud and intoxicated are heading for trouble! Keep your ways humble and soberly minded!
“Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim, whose glorious beauty is a fading flower, which are on the head of the fat valleys of them that are overcome with wine!” (Isaiah 28:1)
10. The Lord is your Shepherd. He will lead you to rest and renewal in His leading of your soul.
“He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.” (Psalms 23:2 – 23:3)
11. A promise of God’s blessing to flourish! Stay faithful to Him! His techniques of molding and shaping you far surpass the molding and shaping techniques of any other!
“I will be as the dew unto Israel: he shall grow as the lily, and cast forth his roots as Lebanon.” (Hosea 14:5)
12. Even the birds and turtles praise the Lord for his beautiful and wonderful work in the creation of flowers.
“The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land;” (Song of Solomon 2:12)
13. The house of the Lord-what a beautiful and inviting place! If the visible beauty can make a queen faint (Queen of Sheba, 1 Kings 10:5), imagine the splendor of the King of Kings it was dedicated to!
“And he carved all the walls of the house round about with carved figures of cherubims and palm trees and open flowers, within and without.” (1 Kings 6:29)
14. When God puts an anointing on your life, He’ll make it known! Let Him do the blooming in your life. No need to try to force it on your own!
“And it came to pass, that on the morrow Moses went into the tabernacle of witness; and, behold, the rod of Aaron for the house of Levi was budded, and brought forth buds, and bloomed blossoms, and yielded almonds.” (Numbers 17:8)
15. God looks down on you with compassion. He knows your makeup. He knows your life will grow and thrive for a season, but will someday come to the end of your days. However, your love for Him will be passed on to the following generations!
“Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him. For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust. As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth. For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more. But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children’s children;” (Psalms 103:13 – 103:17)