When you think of light, what comes to mind? The BEST description of light is this: the absence of darkness! Isn’t that wonderful?
When darkness is absent, you can see clearly, you can see your surroundings, you can see truth.
The example of light is used several times in the Word of God. The example of darkness is also used, reminding and assuring us that light is desirable and necessary in the life of the Christian.
Let the light impact your life today!
1. In the first accounts of creation, God created light. And it was good! It was part of the foundational beginning, and continues to be good and needful thousands of years later!
“And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.” (Genesis 1:3 – 1:5)
2. When you want to see and experience light, follow Jesus! He makes your paths clear, reveals the truth of His Word, and makes darkness take a back seat.
“Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.” (John 8:12)
3. When the earthly life of Jesus was over, He sent the Holy Ghost to fill the hearts of men and women. Along with His precious gift, He instructed you to let that light shine before men! Enjoy the privilege and responsibility of carrying His light and making it known throughout the world!
“Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:14 – 5:16)
4. The Word of God was written by men who were moved on by His Spirit. It shines bright because it comes from the Light of the world!
“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments.” (Psalms 119:104 – 119:105)
5. God is love. God is truth. All goodness comes from Him. His ways are good. His ways are right. Darkness is not one of His attributes.
“This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.” (1 John 1:5)
6. Even in the darkness, God supplies the light we need to see clearly in the paths He wants us to go.
“And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:” (Exodus 13:21)
7. As a Christian, you must have the Lord as your light! He is your guide, your strength, your salvation and all that you need!
8. It is impossible to hide your witness when your heart is on fire for God. Even without speaking a word, the Holy Ghost will make you glow, and that can’t be hidden either!
“No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light. The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness.” (Luke 11:33 – 11:35)
9. Aren’t you thankful that the Lord made Himself known to you, and you embraced his invitation to know Him?
“And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.” (John 1:5)
10. In the past, present and future, Jesus is the light. His glory will never fade, and His light will continue to remove the darkness from those who love Him.
“And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.” (Revelation 21:23)
11. Like the old song says, “I saw the light! I saw the light! No more in darkness, no more in night! Now I’m so happy, no sorrow in sight! Praise the Lord, I saw the light!”
“The light of the righteous rejoiceth: but the lamp of the wicked shall be put out.” (Proverbs 13:9)
12. When God reveals Himself to you, don’t let the opportunity pass! Doubt will never benefit your Christian walk. Don’t feed it. Focus on your Savior.
“While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them. But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him:” (John 12:36 – 12:37)
13. The light we receive from the Lord who called us out of darkness is not a flicker, nor the size of a fading flame on a match. No! His light is marvelous!!!
“But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:” (1 Peter 2:9)
14. Good and perfect gifts are from your God. He is not wishy-washy in the beautiful things He gives to His children. If it is good, it is from Him.
“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.” (James 1:17)
15. Even when trials come your way, and fear tries to block the light, don’t worry. You will see it soon!
“The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.” (Matthew 4:16)
16. If you’ve allowed your spiritual walk to slow or become cold, take a moment to shake yourself! When you allow God to refresh you, He will make your light shine bright once again!
“Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.” (Ephesians 5:14)