Motherhood is such a dynamic role that is full of rich emotions and experiences that often is beyond words.
However, let’s see what the Bible has to say about motherhood. There are warnings, exhortations and praises for this truly benevolent role.
Here are 15 scriptures about mothers and motherhood.
1. Industrious mothers make things happen for their families. Mother is the original hustler. She builds up her family with her words and provides for them with her hands. “There is no other like dear mother.”
“Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come. She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.” (Proverbs 31:25 – 31:29)
2. Mother fills a specially appointed position created by God. Any reversal, disrespect or dismissal of her position could be disastrous for the family government. R-E-S-P-E-C-T.
“Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.” (Exodus 20:12)
3. Mothers are full of compassion, another characteristic gifted from GOD to the first mother and all mothers.
“Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.” (Isaiah 49:15)
4. A mother’s loving presence and peaceful spirit can make even the simplest circumstances FEEL LIKE HOME.
“Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.” (Proverbs 15:17)
5. Ask and believe. God hears the prayers of a praying mother.
“And she said, Oh my lord, as thy soul liveth, my lord, I am the woman that stood by thee here, praying unto the LORD. For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him: Therefore also I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the LORD. And he worshipped the LORD there.” (1 Samuel 1:26 – 1:28)
6. There is only undying appreciation to mothers that have rooted and grounded their children in the Word of God and the way of righteousness.
“A man shall not be established by wickedness: but the root of the righteous shall not be moved.” (Proverbs 12:3)
7. EVERYONE who comes into this world is here thanks to a mother.
“For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.” (Psalms 139:13 – 139:14)
8. Faithful mothers never fail to do good to their families when they have the opportunity. There is no good that a mother withholds from her very own.
“Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.” (Proverbs 3:27)
9. Jesus remembers mothers especially and sends comfort and strength for the women who hold this extra special position in His heart.
“When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.” (John 19:26 – 19:27)
10. As the mother of us all, we honor Eve’s memory as the 1st mother.
“And Adam called his wife’s name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.” (Genesis 3:20)
11. Mothering is an assigned position of privilege that God Himself performs.
“As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you; and ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem.” (Isaiah 66:13)
12. Moms wear many hats. One of her greatest responsibilities is the imparting of God’s Word to her children…and ultimately, the world.
“And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.” (Deuteronomy 6:6 – 6:7)
13. Mothers build their homes with their affirming words and loving actions.
“Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.” (Proverbs 14:1)
14. Mother’s tend to be keenly attentive to the growth and development of her child and finds herself storing up a host of treasures along the journey of motherhood. #treasurethem
“And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.” (Luke 2:51)
15. Exchange the word “charity” for the word “mother” in the verse below for a complete picture of what motherhood is about. See for yourself, Mother = LOVE/Charity.
“Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.” (1 Corinthians 13:4 – 13:7)