Marriage is one of the two institutions established by God during the creation week. Despite Satan’s efforts, this Holy union remains in tact after the first sin, the flood, resurrection of Christ and even the Industrial Revolution, Y2K and 2020!
The Bible gives some practical guidelines on how to weather the storms of life, in faith, with a help-meet at your side and Jesus at the helm.
I invite you to prayerfully examine the following scriptures regarding marriage. God bless.
1. This life was made to be weathered and enjoyed with a partner of the opposite sex in sweet, holy matrimony.
“And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.” (Genesis 2:18)
2. Women, strive to cultivate a peaceful and faith-filled spirit so that when you are found, you bring blessings and favor into your relationship.
“Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD.” (Proverbs 18:22)
3. If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, then you may need to get on your hands and knees (in prayer) and really dig in more often by watering (loving), weeding (attention) and sowing (speaking the Word) with your wife. Then you will reap what you sow.
“Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth. Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.” (Proverbs 5:18 – 5:19)
4. Treat your spouse as Christ treats you. Forgive, bear long, be kind, speak gently and be self-sacrificing.
“This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.” (John 15:12)
5. Don’t let career or academic goals crowd out the bonding that should take place during the foundation-year of your marriage.
“When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.” (Deuteronomy 24:5)
6. Seek wisdom, industry, and grace. Put away pettiness, simple-minded ways and a cantankerous spirit.
“A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones.” (Proverbs 12:4)
7. Divorce was not in God’s design.
“What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.” (Mark 10:9)
8. Self-sac·ri·fice /self ˈsakrəˌfīs/ -to give up your own interests, agenda, priorities or preferences for your spouse.
“Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.” (Ephesians 5:25)
9. Build each other up in marriage.
“Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.” (1 Thessalonians 5:11)
10. Marriage has its privileges- exclusively for your spouse. Don’t act married with anyone else. NO flirting with, confiding in, or extensive time with someone of the opposite sex.
“My beloved is mine, and I am his: he feedeth among the lilies.” (Song of Solomon 2:16)
11. Love is a principle. You do it even when you don’t feel like it.
“Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.” (1 John 4:7)
12. Building bricks for a strong marriage: Tenderness, forgiveness, love and respect.
“And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
13. Say it with a smile 🙂 Do it with delight! And even though you feel cranky, you’ll make your spouse’s day bright!
“Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another.” (Romans 12:10)
14. Let’s define some terms: Adultery is sexual intercourse with someone other than your spouse. Sexual means attraction or intimacy between two people. Intercourse is communication between individuals. Communication: Imparting/Exchanging information -like over a phone or computer. Here we have the danger of flirting and misplaced intimacy.
“Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.” (Hebrews 13:4)
15. Every daughter of God can be a virtuous woman and every son of God can find one.
“Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.” (Proverbs 31:10)